ULANGAN TENGAH SEMESTER
TAHUN PELAJARAN 2011/2012
Mata Pelajaran Bahasa Inggris Hari/Tanggal : kamis 8 Maret 2012
Kelas : X Waktu : 09.30 – 10.30 WIB
Program : –
- A. Soal nomor 1 sampai dengan 20 pilihlah jawaban yang paling tepat !
1. Yunus : Dedi, let’s spend this week-end for fishing. I have found a good spot.
Dedi : I am sorry, I hate fishing.
From the above sentence, Dedi shows his … for fishing
2. Student : I’ve finished the test. Here you are, sir!
Teacher : Good. You …
A. can’t stay here
B. will leave the room
C. can’t tell anything
D. may leave the classroom
E. must say thank you
3. If you want to have your hair cut, why don’t you go to him?
He is a famous … in the city.
4. X : Has she already got some medicine?
Y : If she had visited the doctor, she would have been given medicine.
From the dialogue above we know that …
A. the doctor visited her and gave her medicine
B. she visited the doctor, so she was given medicine
C. she didn’t visit the doctor, so she wasn’t given medicine
D. although she didn’t visit the doctor, she was give medicine
E. she didn’t visit the doctor because the doctor had already given her medicine
Read this paragraph to answer questions number 5 and 6.
Why is Mexico City growing so fast? Where are all these people coming from? They are coming to the city from the country. Life is hard on the farms in Mexico! Most people on farms have to live a very simple life. They have no extra money for modem things. People think life in the city must be better. So they leave their farms and move to Mexico City.
5. The best topic of the above paragraph is …
A. life in Mexico City today
B. modern life in Mexico City
C. the population in Mexico City
D. why country people move to Mexico City
E. how Mexican farmers live in the country
6. What is the main idea of the paragraph above?
A. Mexico/City is growing extremely fast.
B. Population in Mexico City is growing fast.
C. Living conditions in the city are very good.
D. The farmers living in the city have a better life
E. The hard life in the country makes the people move to the city.
7. Annie : I can-l believe that this is my last day here.
Bob : You’re leaving us today?
Annie : Yes. I’m so nervous about this
Bob : I’m sure it‘ll be fine.
Annie : I don’t know. It will be so different.
Bob : I thought you wanted a change.
Annie : Yes, I did. And I wanted more pay. But now I’m not sure it was the right thing to do.
Bob : Stop worrying. Everything; will be fine.
From the dialogue we can conclude that Annie was … about her decision.
8. Day nurse : Morning,. Maria!
Night nurse : Hello, Gloria. I’m glad to see you.
Day nurse : Any problems?
Night nurse : Just Mr. Steel He needs watching
Day nurse : O.K What are you doing today?
Night nurse : Sleeping! Then planning my holiday
Day nurse : Lucky you! Have a nice day.
Night-nurse : Thanks. Bye!
In the dialogue, the night nurse gives information about the …
D. nurse’s action
E. progress report
9 Dodi : I’d like you to help me market my product. If you are successful, I’ll give you 20% of the profit
Tom : … When can I start?
A. Wait a minute
B. That’s not fair
C. I don’t mind
D. Be sensible
E. It’s a deal
10. X. : Was there any trouble at the demonstration?
Y : Yes, about 20 people . . . arrested.
A. are being
B. have been
C. will be
This text is for questions 11 to 14.
The University of Australia
The University of Australia has an international reputation for educational professionals and for applied research. It is Australia’s largest university, with six campuses, including a specialized technology campus.
The university places particular importance on the quality of its teaching and learning programs, and on its working links with industry, business and government.
11. The whole paragraph promotes that …
A. the University of Australia offers excellent educational programs
B. the University of Australia is the largest university in the country
C. the University of Australia has a specialized technology campus
D. the university places particular importance on technology
E. the university has six campuses
12. Which information is NOT TRUE about the University of Australia?
A. It has an international educational reputation,
B. It also has a specialized technology campus,
C. It has six technology campuses,
D. It is Australia’s largest university,
E. It has good relation with industry.
13. It is stated that the university has good relationship with …
A. educational professionals
B. specialized technology
C. large universities
D. other campuses
14. “The University of Australia has an international educational reputation for …”
The underlined word means …
This text is for question 15.
Eka : Are you free today?
Lidya : Yes, what’s up?
Eka : Would you like to come with me to see the “Peterpan” show tonight?
Lidya : Thanks, I’d be delighted to. It’s my favourite band.
15. What are the speakers going to do?
A. To stay at home.
B. To see Peterpan show.
C. To arrange their free time.
D. To watch Peterpan at home.
E. To come to their friend’s house.
This text is for question 16.
Mira : Hi, Dad, I will be late home because the committee will hold a meeting after class.
Father : It’s okay but you must go straight home after the meeting.
Mira : Don’t worry, Dad.
Mother : What did Mira say?
Father : She said that she would be late home today.
16. What is the most possible place where Mira is talking to her father?
A. A hall.
B. Her home.
C. The office.
D. Her school.
E. A meeting room,
Bacaan untuk soal nomor 17 sampai dengan 18.
Eating is important to make healthy. What you eat affects your health. You are … (17) to eat some … (18)
food to become healthy.
17. A. ordered
18. A. nutritious
19. Read the following sentences which are not put ingood order,
1. Luciano also enrolled in a teachers college.
2. He made him work very hard to develop his voice.
3. When Luciano Pavarotti was a boy, his father introduced him the wonder of songs.
4. His father advised him “If you try to sit on two chairs, you will fall between them. For life, you must choose one chair.”
5. On graduating he was doubtful whether he would be a teacher or a singer. .
6. Then Arrigo Pola, a professional singer took him as a student.
The correct arrangement of the sentences above is …
A. 3 – 5 – 6 – 2 – 1 – 4
B. 3 – 2 – 6 – 1 – 5 – 4
C. 3 – 1 – 2 – 6 – 5 – 4
D. 3 – 1 – 6 – 2 – 4 – 5
E. 3 – 4 – 5 – 6 – 2 – 1
20. Ronny : Are you going to watch the movie on TV tonight?
Deny : No, I think I’ll watch the recent news. The recent news is news that …
A. tells us about things that have just happened
B. provides a lot of advertisements
C. is printed in capital letters
D. makes the viewers laugh
E. is very important